Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: a review

I'm kind of a nostalgic sap, so looking back at this past year puts my heart all over the place.

2013 was quite the year - probably the biggest I've had in a long time. I was accepted to medical school, quit my job, enjoyed funemployement, moved hundreds of miles away, started medical school, ended a half a decade relationship, and finished my first semester of school. I found a great great great group of friends who have been a blessing - I don't think I would be anywhere as happy as I am if it weren't for them. I love my living situation, and having such an amazing roommate. My dogs are happier, my calendar is busier, and my heart is fuller.

In a blogging year, I've finished a whole year of budgeting. I worked on defining my wardrobe. I took one, and then passed it on! I showed how to wear five things five ways for five days. My budget changed to reflect living off student loans while still needing to be dress code appropriate. I hit over one million pageviews since starting this thing. Blogging friends became real life friends. I had to learn to adjust my time towards blogging as school picked up - I'm still working on that :/

Overall, a wonderful year! Here's a little look back over the year, with similar topics to last year's review. Thank you for everything! I'm so glad that we "met" over the internet (and in some cases, in real life!) and how supportive you've all been. Here's to 2014!

Favorite Outfits:
one | two | three | four | five
2013 was a year of figuring out what I like and don't like. I gravitate towards layers, heaps of scarves, and more basic colors. I generally stick to two similar silhouettes - slimmer pants with layers on top, or skirts with shirts tucked in. My accessories tend to be matchy matchy but I like that, and it's easy! I like simple patterns - stripes will always be number one, followed closely by polka dots.

Least Favorite Outfits:
Along with figuring out what you like comes with the price of figuring out what you don't. I tried to take a few "risks" for my closet, but it turns out that I should stick with the color palettes and proportions I know and like. Neon and 80's geometric prints are great for some, but not for me. Now I know!

Favorite Purchases:
one | two | three
I've really tried to curb my spending from where I was a few years ago, and really am proud of how far I've come when it comes to making purchases for my life and bank account. Having a budget, and sticking to it, means I buy less, but what I buy I really do like. I try to think more about what I need for my current life, and what I still want around in five years. These ponte pants are a staple for me - I wear mine so so much that I will be buying a second pair during the next great sale. My birthday present to myself, a classic Burberry trench coat (at 50% off retail price), will be one of those lifetime pieces, truly. The tax refund purchase, a pair of Hunter boots that fit just right, was one of the more practical purchases of the year - I wear them every single day!

Biggest Regret Purchases:

This goes right along with my least favorite outfits. The Madewell sweater was something that I was initially excited about, but once I wore it the one way I thought about, I just didn't know what to do with it anymore. The pastels and pattern are just not "me", which is why I sold the sweater during the big closet clean out. The neon shirt, while inexpensive, was a purchase inspired more by other bloggers than what I wanted for myself. Makes for a good lounging tee though!

Most Pageviews:
one | two | three | four
Same as last year, a post about how to layer more efficiently took number one, mostly thanks to Pinterest. A few reviews, including these unflattering pants and my favorite t-shirt, made it to the top by google searches. I posted about wanting a herringbone vest, and due to the overwhelming popularity of that item, it also made it to the top thanks to Google.

Favorite Discussions:

Investment Pieces - made up words to convince ourselves to spend more on certain items?
What's "Blog Worthy" - are we trapping ourselves in by only showing the best of the best?
Who knows about your blog? - what happens when your classmates/co-workers find out?
The Business of Blogging - where does the money come from, and where does it go?
The Perfection Pressure - do you feel the pressure from blogging to always be "picture perfect"?


Thank you again for all of your support! Hope you all have a safe (and awesome!) New Years :)

36 comments:

  1. Definitely agree with your favorite outfits. SO many cute ones! And at least you went outside the box and tried some things you hadn't before. Maybe they didn't work out, but at least you took the risk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you not only included your favorite outfits, but also your non-so-favorite ones. I think that is what I love most about you. You put yourself out there and you don't pretend everything is just OMG SO GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait, not everything is OMGSOAWESOME?! why did no one tell me!

      thanks lady :) I think you're pretty great too!

      Delete
  3. Glad you are sticking with blogging even with school!! I love that I can relate to you and your style :) Hope you have an amazing new year and 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recap. Here's to an even brighter 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your round up is really informative. I love how you put it together. Most bloggers just do their favorites. It takes a lot to showcase faults. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a great year, Fran! Wishing you all the best for 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so much better than the typical outfit recaps. I might have to do something similar. Thanks for the idea and congrats on a great year!

    ~Sarah of Sarah's Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so great! I've gotten so much out of your posts this year, from budgeting to outfit ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi there! I didn't see an email address where i could get a hold of you - but did you know that sometimes your blog has a "league of angels" advertisement which i believe is a game but basically has cartoons in bikinis bouncing around? i think young house love had this problem last week but just wanted you to know!

    ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for letting me know ashley!! I played around with the ad settings - hopefully that makes them stop!

      Delete
  10. Well, I could probably be your mom but still you inspire me all the time. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of all the year-end posts people are posting, this is one of my favorite!! What a great idea - I love your thoughts on your favorite and least-favorite outfits. I have a few of those myself... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just catching up on posts and read about you and your bf. I am also in a looooong term relationship and it's getting rocky, to say the least. Seeing you come through the other end and be happy and healthy makes me so happy for you!

    Wishing you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a good recap - smart to think through your best/worst purchases of the year. I'm always trying to learn from my dumbness like that :) Best wishes to you for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recap! I just finished mine for tomorrow, random outfits I like, not as interesting as yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your recap on 2013 - and those three pieces are totally worth the splurge. I can't believe the year is almost over - can't wait to see what 2014 brings you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, Fran! I've really enjoyed reading along with your fashion journey this year. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just discovered your blog a few days ago and I really enjoy reading it. You will definitely be in my daily blog readings for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you! I love all of your favorite outfits. We have similar taste and body shape, and I am so glad I found your blog this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an exciting year for you (and hard I'm sure). Congrats on all your accomplishments! And you always look chic, even in those outfits you don't like ;) Excited to see more in 2014! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved this recap! I like how you included your least favorite outfits (although I think they still look good!). Happy New Year!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is inspiring me to be more conscious about our posts and create more discussions for others in our situation! I still think you look great in neon, though. :-) - J

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have had quite the year, Fran! It seems like there are been many more ups than downs, which is so awesome. I think I would have to agree that the 80's Madewell sweater was the one thing I questioned you on this year! But your Hunter boots and the Burberry trench are staples that you will have forever! Happy New Year, doll!

    -AJ

    ReplyDelete
  25. You had a very successful year, Miss Franny Fran! It makes me so happy to see your blog doing so well because you deserve it, girl! You are one of the most down to earth people I have met here on the Internets, and I think that's why so many of us love your blog! This is one of my favorite roundups I've read!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is the best year end recap post I've read. You're my fave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. look at you go along this whirlwind ride through life! i always enjoy that you are true to yourself and don't try to people please by sugar coating reality. it's unique that you showcase both your favourites and least faves. happy new year, fran and to another great one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. 2013 was such a big year for you! I'm always interested to see what's going on in your crazy med school filled world and I'm absolutely astonished by your budgeting abilities. I'm trying to be a bit more cost conscious this year so I'll probably be budgeting for 2014. You also had a lot of amazing outfits. I can't wait to see what 2014 brings you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay, I love all your styles...that's a given, but looking back on your favorite discussions...girl you have a gift! Somehow I missed a few of the posts and they really helped me and made me rethink a few things. I am so proud of you and taking a leap this year! I cannot wait to see what's in store for us both this year!! Many blessings in 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your favorite outfits above are such an inspiration for me when I'm getting dressed. Once I started a blog, I kept feeling like I had to come up with more outfits that pushed the envelope, so to speak, but a lot of them didn't feel like "me." I feel like as I've started this second year of blogging I'm getting back to my real style which is like yours- classic but with fun details. Thanks for showing that it's not boring to be classic!

    Kaitlin
    www.teaandsequins.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a year! Looking forward to what 2014 is going to bring for you.

    Keep on being inspirational, love seeing you experience your journey.

    www.shoppingthelist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. You did it again, took something that everyone was doing, and made it your own, even better than the rest! I'm going to have to have a little talk with myself about identifying some missteps this year… so good to pinpoint what works, AND what doesn't! Cheers to 2014 my budgeting blogger buddy :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've seen your how to layer all over Pinterest! Get it, girl!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).