Monday, June 23, 2014

inspiration: kimonos

top: one | two | three
bottom: four | five | six
Last week I really had an itch to go shopping, and even though we've been traveling all over ever since school got out, I haven't actually found a way to do some "real" shopping, so instead I took to the internet (as one does when you live in a city with few shopping options). I ended up finding a bunch of cute things to order from ASOS, ranging from pieces that are pretty typical me, like this fun baseball tee (even for the tall girls!), to something a little out of my normal style like this cute lace top (reviews to come). I have always like kimono-style tops, so I ended up adding this one to my order as well, thinking it would be the one thing for sure I was going to send back (I had added a few things just to try on since ASOS as a free return policy so there was nothing to lose). 

Turns out, it ended up being my favorite piece from the order! I loved the pretty print, that it's simple enough to be worn in a few different ways, but different enough that it's something unique in my closet. I loved hearing everyone's feedback on instagram about it, and for now, I think I'm going to keep it. I can't wait for the weather to cool down just a little bit so I can wear it with some black skinnies and my new pendant necklace I just got.

A couple of options for purchase below, or you can follow this easy tutorial (I LOVE the fabric she made hers in!)....

13 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing some fringe-y kimonos lately! Nice, lightweight alternative to a sweater but still a bit more coverage :)

    Blonde in this City

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I just ordered a kimono from ASOS this morning. Not sure if I'll be able to pull it off but love the idea of pairing it with a camisole and shorts or white jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really loving kimonos recently! Initially I wasn't too keen, but I slowly came around to the idea though. The shoptiques one you listed is gorgeous! Also I've never thought about making my own own before, sounds fairly some so can't wait to try that out!! :)

    www.fashion-oh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to be safe, so I got mine from Forever 21. I love it but I'm happy I didn't spend over $20 on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post !

    http://www.MARTASFASHIONDIARY.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun!!! LOVE the kimonos but have yet to find one I love. But i do LOVE the fabric in that tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your kimono jacket - I think it will be a fun piece and you're right, it's unique.
    I just made myself a kimono jacket with a black sheer floral chiffon. It hasn't been posted on my blog yet, but I'm looking forward to wearing it! Mine came out a little longer than expected (almost to the knee), but I figured out the longer length and light drapey fabric mean I can wear it 3 different ways: as is; with the ends tied in front; and with the ends tied in back. Looking forward to seeing how you style yours so I can get some outfit ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you decided to keep the kimono! I think it's beautiful on you. I saw a girl on the L in Chicago rocking a similar cut/print kimono with a simple, knee-length black dress. SO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimonos look cute but culture wise it reminds me of something else (more formal).

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kimonos are my favorite! I just got a floral fringed one and have worn it more than anything else in my closet. I'm also planning on wearing it this weekend on my flight to Chicago... SO COMFY. You should definitely get one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I inherited a "kimono"-esque top from my sis, and I've been a bit stumped on how to style it! I love the look on the top right, slouchy white tee, jean shorts, kimono top, and brown wedges! I'll have to try that out.

    p.s. I blogged about my top here: http://perfectlypriya.blogspot.com/2014/06/my-japanese-tuxedo.html

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm bummed your changed your mind on the kimono because I think it's super cute on you, but it also never ceases to amaze me that you can make decisions to wait for something better when you're not 100% in love. I need to get better at that!

    Kaitlin
    www.teaandsequins.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).