Tuesday, June 24, 2014

review: recent ASOS + LOFT purchases

I mentioned that I recently went a little online shopping crazy...and I did. I used the rest of my quarterly budget (close to $400) to put in two huge orders to ASOS and LOFT. Loft was having one of their common 40% off everything sales, so that did cut down the cost of everything considerably. I did this knowing that I would return the majority, if not all of the orders. With free shipping, free returns to ASOS and the opportunity to visit LOFT this weekend for returns, I used this as an opportunity just to try a bunch of things on, knowing it wouldn't cost me anything other than time to put the packages into the mail. Below are a few of the winners, and some near misses...and a few laughably horrible misses too ;)



First up, this dress from Loft. Gosh did I want this dress work out - the fabric is thick, the pattern lines up beautifully around the hidden zipper, and the waist is flattering. The problem is the top part of the dress -it's way too loose around the neck, and then the arm holes cuts off right in the middle of the unfortunate armpit fat :/ I could of course keep it and make it work with blazers and cardigans, and trust me, I was tempted, but I know that I would get much more use out of a dress that fits me slightly better and is more flattering without having to always wear something on top. If this were to come in a v-neck, I would have kept it immediately.

LOFT - Tie Neck Short Sleeve Blouse
I've always like the idea of a light tie neck blouse, especially with my recent obsession with Claire's wardrobe on House of Cards, so I was excited to try on Loft's version since the model looks fantastic in it. Unfortunately, it looked a little sloppy on me with the excessive fabric around the neckline, and slightly capped sleeves. I also had high hopes for their embroidered blouse - the light gauzy fabric would be great for summer and fall, and the pattern is unique without being overwhelming. It was a bit too loose on me, especially on the arms - more peasant-y than I want. I also never know exactly what to do with the tie necklines, so it was an easy decision to pass on this one as well. I also am quickly and decidedly passing on these patterned slouchy pants that you can see peaking out below the neck-tie blouse. I thought maybe they could be a fun pair to own, worn with my navy v-neck tee and cognac sandals, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on them, knowing that I'm not cool enough and I wouldn't wear them often.
LOFT - Crochet Trim Pleated Blouse
This pretty blouse, on the other hand, is staying firmly in my closet. I love the color, the light fabric, and the small unique details that aren't overwhelming. I plan on pairing it with my favorite skinny jeans, patterned flats, and a scarf for more casual events or dates, and then with a pencil skirt and my beloved wedges for school.

LOFT - Pale Chambray Softened Shirt
My love for popovers runs deep, so I quickly fell for this soft blue version. The description says it's chambray, but it really is just a soft cotton blouse. I have been trying to think of my current life style, and my life in a year from now when I start clinical rotations when I make my purchase, and I know that this works now and in the future. I initially put it on, and ended up leaving it on for the rest of the day, wearing it with some comfy black shorts and an anchor belt (mine is old from Madewell, but this one is super similar and slightly cheaper).

Moving on to the ASOS order, where I had a lot easier of a time saying no to a majority of the order. Lets all have a good laugh about how this dress looks on me. Too long, too loose, too funny. The baseball tee, while not as hilarious, was something I hoped would fit better than it did, but it was far too long in the waist, and too large in the arms. If you are looking to order something in tall sizing from ASOS, I would suggest you do if you are several inches taller than the 5'9'' I am (even though tall sizes are apparently for women 5'9'' or taller, yet I feel these are too long/big on me).

Just like I've wanted a tie neck blouse, I've wanted a wrap top for a while now. The ASOS obi wrap top seemed promising, but it has wayyyyyyyyyyy too much fabric around the waist. I've been going back and forth on the kimono, as discussed a few days ago, but I generally have a rule that if I'm uncertain for this long of a time, it means I shouldn't keep it. I know that I can find a similar style for less money, so it's definitely something I want to keep an eye out for, but for now, this one is going back.
I ordered this lace top, but the arms were too tight to even photograph. This paneled and crochet top was by far my favorite piece in the order. I don't think it looks that great untucked, but I can really see myself wearing it a lot tucked into jeans or into dress pants. It is on the pricey side, so I plan to play around with it a little bit with various pieces in my closet. I'll have it decided by Friday, when this month's budget will be posted!

43 comments:

  1. Yay for the popover! And the pink top! I feel like it's still true to your style while being a slightly deviated from your norm due to the color. And the color is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with that popover! I'm addicted like you; I might have to go get that one tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with your popover/anchor belt outfit, simple and extremely stylish. and that pink Loft blouse is adorable on you. While I've been a longtime Loft customer, I feel like they've been kind of hit or miss lately, but you've managed to snag a few good pieces. You seriously have me contemplating that popover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ele :) I never shopped at Loft until last year. I used to be a hardcore Gap fan, but I find now that Gap is more "weekend wear" and Loft is more "weekday wear" that I can also wear on the weekends, so I'm definitely gravitating towards Loft a lot more! I agree that the fit is kind of hit or miss, but that's all a part of the game I suppose ;)

      Delete
  4. I actually like the kimono on you. The popover blouse is really cute too. Overall I like everything else that you are keeping!

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the 3 tops you are probably keeping! They are all very classic but with some fun details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also a huge fan of Claire's wardrobe on HOC. Makes me want to spend more time at the office!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kimono looks good one you. Sorry the stripe dress didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The items you decided to keep look great on you. I'm looking forward to linking up for budgeting bloggers Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't wait to see how you did this month Meghan!

      Delete
  9. Really love that pink blouse on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently bought that capped sleeved tie-neck top from Loft. (And the long sleeved pink one too, so cute!) Like you, I thought it looked sloppy at first. Then I tried just knotting the tie instead of making a bow and making the knot lower than I would have originally thought. It made a big difference and now I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it worked out for you! I would be tempted to keep it, but I know that the sleeves would bother me too much. I just want a full short sleeve! I didn't realize it would be so difficult :(

      Delete
  11. I really like the pieces you kept, especially that pretty pink blouse! I never know what to do with things that tie at my neck either and they always end up getting in my way. I tried out Old Navy baseball tees which fit me fairly well, but I am waiting for them to go on sale. They are 3/4 sleeve though and not in pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for those ON ones! I haven't found one in my store yet though. I didn't necessarily want a pink one, I'd honestly wear a grey or black version a lot more, so I'll have to see if I can't get the ON version online!

      Delete
  12. It's a fun game to look at the picture and then try to guess whether you kept it before reading your answer underneath. I think I won :) Good picks! And thanks for mentioning when you're posting your budget...I think I'll do mine for Friday too then. Yay!

    ~Sarah of Sarah's Real Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I need to really keep a consistent schedule with the budget stuff for you guys, or at least give you a heads up!

      Delete
  13. I love these posts! It's like going shopping with my fave blogger.
    (Not a creep, I swear!)
    I would have kept the kimono, because I'm a sucker for florals, but your rule is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one day we will have a real life shopping trip. you'll teach me all of your sneaky awesome budgeting tricks, and I'll convince you to buy all the floral things :)

      Delete
  14. I love Loft clothing, but sometimes it's so hit or miss. There's a floral skirt with pockets that I've been eyeing, but since there isn't a Loft near me to try it on, I'm hesitant to spend the shipping amount to get it home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i really like that last top! super cute and looks perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could a tailor make the dress a V-neck? It's so pretty I would have a hard time letting it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what a friend suggested too, but I don't know if it's worth the $30 they would charge me to make the change. I am having a bit of a hard time letting it go though!

      Delete
  17. I'm really surprised by how much I like the lace panel. Normally that's not my thing but seeing it on you I kind of want it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually got the Old Navy version of the striped Loft dress and was VERY pleasantly surprised!! They material is good quality and the fit is excellent! Comes in talls of course :) http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=91340&vid=1&pid=977714022

    I didn't LOVE the kimono - you can find a better one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these types of reviews! And girl PLEASE keep your kimono, it looks great on you! I'm loving the pink blouse and the last top from Asos as well. Sad about that Asos dress being too long because the color and pattern is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel like this is going to come out all wrong, but I'd love to hear how you find shorts that work for you. I too am the owner of strong, not bony thighs and always feel like I struggle to find those that work on me, but yours always fit perfectly! How do you go about selecting them? Do you ever have to tailor? What length/style/brand works best for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the biggest things is not buying denim shorts. I just haven't found any that fit my thighs and my waist! Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places though. My biggest tips would be to go with a more twill fabric, like these from Old Navy. They have a 5 inch inseam, which is long enough for us adults, but short enough that they are still elongating and flattering! Plus they were like $12 :)

      Delete
  21. That pink top is so pretty! Looks really versatile. I do like the kimono, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love popovers, too. They're so comfortable and easy to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favourite piece is that popover shirt... in second is that dress if only it fit you better at the neck and arms (I hate it when that happens)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've had that blue Asos dress on my mind for months waiting for it to get cheaper, and now that it finally did, my size is sold out! Such a bummer. I definitely agree that the tall is too long on you though. I am deeply saddened that it didn't work out. Sigh...

    I do, however, love the pieces that you chose to keep!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi super blonde hair! You are looking so summery and gorgeous! And I LOVE that bottom shirt. Please keep it, change your mind, and "forget" it when you come to Seattle this summer?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the pieces you decided to keep! I think you chose wisely :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really enjoyed this post. I think my favorite is the popover paired with the shorts and anchor belt, which is adorable in its own right. I did the same thing recently with Stitch Fix bc I needed an infusion, and usually I am all about sending everything back -- but this time I kept quite a lot of it.
    xx Abby a geek tragedy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really enjoy these posts--I love reading about your thought process for deciding whether to keep various items. I feel like you're always so sensible about choosing which items will work for your life!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the pink top!! I'm tempted to try the wrap top, if it comes in short people. It's very cool. I fell victim to the loft sale myself! Hello, another black jumpsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You found some great items!! That pink blouse is absolutely beautiful and looks so amazing on you! Good choice on that one, especially tucked in. That blue popover is super cute too. I bet it'll go with everything for the summer and cooler months too with a blazer or cardigan over it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Eeeee!!! The pink top, white crocheted top, and blue popover are beautiful and fit perfectly into your wardrobe! As always, I enjoyed reading your process of why you chose to keep or get rid of certain items. I wish that dress from LOFT had worked out as well - it's so perfect everywhere but that darn neckline.

    Can I be 100% honest and say that I'm glad you decided against the kimono??...I don't really see the appeal - they look like bathrobes and I'm not a huge fan of clothing items taken from other cultures :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone with a Japanese mom, I have to agree. I'm not offended when I see non-Japanese people wearing "kimono" like the one Fran tried on. I love patterns, so done right (i.e. not looking cheap or bathrobe-like) I think they can be very cute. What does bother me is that they're called kimono at all, since they barely resemble the real thing.

      Delete
  32. The fact that you're willing to show what didn't work is why I love you/your blog so much! Every time I order something I usually try it on, sneak out to the full length mirror in our hallway, and then run back to my room in horror if it just doesn't work. I LOVE the things you've decided to keep. They all seem like pieces that will be easy to dress up or down which is perfect for your lifestyle. I always want to love ASOS, but I've found it to be hit or miss. Thanks for sharing!!

    Kaitlin
    www.teaandsequins.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).